Device icons lost from desktop (KDE 3.5.3)

Greetings!

Looks like my recent system upgrades are preventing all
non-manually-created device icons from appearing on the desktop.
Sessions that haven't been restarted still have them, new
ones don't. This is happening on both machines that I've
recently upgraded.

The relevant fstab entries:
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom1   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/sdc1       /media/usbmem0  vfat    noauto,user     0       0
/dev/sdd1       /media/usbmem1  vfat    noauto,user     0       0

Each of these used to have a corresponding icon (unmounted/mounted)
on the desktop created by KDE but not anymore. Unchecking/checking
the box for creating device icons on desktop in kcontrol doesn't
help.

Thinking that it may be time to start using hal and pmount, I just
installed them. Even added the proposed fix for the expected
removable-device mounting breakup in KDE 3.5.4. None of this
helped and I'm still lacking any auto-created device icons on the
desktop.

Any help will be much appreciated. I'm ready to file a bug-report.

  Martins Krikis