Truncated text strings in GTK applications after KDE update to 3.5.4

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone experiences similar problems as me with GTK-base
applications after KDE update to 3.5.4.

Obviously the problem is related to GTK-applications (like GIMP or firefox,
which I'm using all the time): only the first word of sentences is shown.
E.g. if I browse to www.debian.org, it should say "What is Debian?" on the
front page, but can only read "What" in my firefox, the rest is simply
blank - as you can see on the screenshot:

	http://www.xray.at/gtk-kde-problems/Debian-homepage.png
	http://www.xray.at/gtk-kde-problems/Gimp.png

If I start just X (without any KDE) and run firefox or GIMP, all text strings
are okay. I can even start some KDE applications like kdesktop, kicker, kwin
without any impact on firefox. But as soon as I invoke "startkde",
font-problems are back.

My first thought was that maybe gtk2-engines-gtk-qt causes this problem - but
I've purged it and removed all user-related config files and still I can see
all text strings in firefox.

Has anyone the same problem? Maybe any suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks,
kind regards,

   Christian