Re: Multi-tasking

Hi,

have you tried to compile yourself a kernel. I think that the debian packages
of kernels have a default behavior of server. From the 2.6 kernels, there's
an option in the multitask about preemptive or server. A preemptive kernel
has a better "feeling" for the desktop user than the server.

Regards,

Leo

A Dimecres 28 Juny 2006 05:09, Matej Cepl va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> I really do not want to flame (I have been using KDE for many years and I
> do not mean to change anything about that), but can anybody explain why KDE
> has so lousy multi-tasking? Or is it whole Linux? I have noticed it for
> long time, but couple of days I was working on Windows XP and running
> something terribly complicated with Access, it was running completely out
> of its mind, but when I switched to the other window where I had Excel, I
> could work without problems and I have hardly noticed almost dying Access
> on the background. Whenever I run something more complicated in Linux (gcc,
> update of slocate dbase), whole computer goes almost to halt (and it is not
> that bad computer -- Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook w/ Celeron 1.4GHz, 512MB
> RAM). I believe that Linux should have perfect multi-everything, but
> apparently there is some problem with my configuration.
>
> Can anybody kick me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matěj
>
> --
> GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC
> http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
> 23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213
>
> I used to date a woman who did PR and marketing for MS, so you
> can imagine we had some in-depth and sometimes heated
> discussions about MS vs. Linux and Macs.
> Well, one day we were going hiking, and she presented me with
> a really nice backback. The only issue with it was that it had
> the MS logo emblazoned all over it. Of course, she knew
> I wouldn't refuse it.
> Anyway, she said to me, "Isn't that nice? See? What'd RedHat
> ever give you for free?"
> I replied, "An operating system."
> That was one long, quiet hike.
>       -- disserto on Slashdot
>          http://slashdot.org/comments.pl\
>          ?sid=138492&tid=109&mode=thread&cid=11590292

Linux User 152692
PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia