Re: Multi-tasking

El Miércoles, 28 de Junio de 2006 05:09, Matej Cepl escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I really do not want to flame (I have been using KDE for many years and I
> do not mean to change anything about that), but can anybody explain why KDE
> has so lousy multi-tasking? Or is it whole Linux? I have noticed it for
> long time, but couple of days I was working on Windows XP and running
> something terribly complicated with Access, it was running completely out
> of its mind, but when I switched to the other window where I had Excel, I
> could work without problems and I have hardly noticed almost dying Access
> on the background. Whenever I run something more complicated in Linux (gcc,
> update of slocate dbase), whole computer goes almost to halt (and it is not
> that bad computer -- Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook w/ Celeron 1.4GHz, 512MB
> RAM). I believe that Linux should have perfect multi-everything, but
> apparently there is some problem with my configuration.

I have an Athlon 800, and when I download my email, kmail blocks completely,
and doesn't refreshes until spamassassin finishes processing at least the
current email, but if I switch to another application, it works very well.

Which kernel are you using? I always run the default debian kernel, and I
noticed that the responsiveness of the desktop improved a lot in some 2.6
release (i suppose because the scheduler was different).

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net