Re: network configuration

Freddie Cash wrote:

> I can understand putting network-level information into a single
> config file.  Things like IPs, routes, gateways, etc.  All the stuff
> you need *AFTER* a link is established.
>
> But link-level stuff should not go into the same config file as
> network-level stuff.  This is all stuff that needs to happen
> *beforehand*.  And these should be able to change without affecting
> the network-level too much.  All the network-level needs to see if
> "linkup" and "linkdown" events, and then run/load the appropriate
> config.
>
> wpa_supplicant works the same as plugging in an Ethernet cable.

>From a user point-of-view, it's all about creating a network connection.
The information provided in /etc/network/interfaces is available _before_
the connection is made - else why would there be an if-pre-up.d directory.

> For instance, configuring the wireless link should happen before
> putting the IPs and whatnot onto the interface.  Creating a PPP
> connection or a PPPoE connection needs to happen before running DHCP
> and whatnot on the interface.

Many things can happen before running DHCP.  Your end-user doesn't want to
know where in the process DHCP runs - he doesn't even want to know what
DHCP is (let alone what the initials stand for).  I still think keeping
connection information in one place is fine (though I agreed that breaking
old - working - setups is not cool).
--
derek