Re: network configuration

Freddie Cash wrote:

> On Fri, April 21, 2006 5:30 am, Felix Homann wrote:
>> (I would *not* recommend to use the new configuration scheme proposed
>> by the wpa_supplicant maintainers. It's not useful for a system in
>> changing environments. Use the "old" or "deprecated" init script.
>> There's currently a lot of discussion about this on the respective
>> mailing list.)
>
> Oh good, so I'm not the only one who can't stand the
> "new-world-order".  Putting everything into the interfaces file breaks
> all the nice, automatic, "it-just-works" configs I had.

It might break yours, but it was the way interface control was moving before
we ever _had_ wpa_supplicant, so it would have been really nice if the
wpa_supplicant developers had moved in step with the rest of the world.

> What is it with Linux devs that they have to change everything that
> works to something that barely works for the next three releases?  Why
> can't they just keep the things that work?  wpa_supplicant has been
> running perfectly on all my FreeBSD systems for almost a year now, and
> is now broken on all my Linux systems.

And I've been trying (and failing) to keep all my network information
in /etc/network/interfaces for three years.
--
derek