Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

* André Wöbbeking [Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:47:14 +0100]:

  (Josh has already replied, but I had already written this before
  realizing he had, so sending anyway.)

> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 20:26, Josh Metzler wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 November 2005 02:17 pm, Yves Glodt wrote:
> > > why not stop wasting resources and halt work on 3.4.3 and go with
> > > 3.5 immediately, anyway etch will come with 3.5 I guess... no?

> > The release team asked us not to do that.  They want the g++
> > allocator transition to go quickly, which means not uploading major
> > new versions of large packages like KDE.

> But for the g++ allocator transition all KDE packages must be updated
> anyway. Now you want to update all KDE 3.4 packages to update them some
> days later again with 3.5 packages. Isn't that more work than to go to
> 3.5 directly?

  Yes, it is more work, but it is also what helps Debian as a whole the
  most. See, experience tells us that a major KDE version (x.y.0) always
  produces a bit of trouble on unstable, no matter how much you prepare
  it in e.g. Alioth. See e.g. Christopher's comments [1] about the
  possibility of kdelibs breaking on several architectures: then, we'd
  be holding up the allocator transition for all of KDE apps, until we
  fixed it, and further delaying the date of start of other transitions
  to come (python, freetype).

    [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2005/11/msg00332.html

  So, instead, you upload to unstable versions that are known to work,
  and which are known to not make other packages FTBFS, which enables
  you (one the library is transitioned in all arches) to use semi-automatic
  mechanism to update the rest of packages (binary NMUs), knowing _in
  advance_ that they'll work. This all ends up in the transition that
  goes faster (well, in Debian terms, anyway; objectively, it's still
  long).

  (The above mentioned semi-automatic mechanisms could have been used
  for KDE itself, just recompiling all of 3.4.2 against kdelibs4c2a. But
  well, kdelibs itself takes a while to be ready everywhere (hppa is
  hitting badly on us), so while we wait, we go and upload 3.4.3, which
  is more effort but it'll be nice to have in testing during all the
  weeks that KDE 3.5 will be getting in shape in unstable.)

  Hope this helps you understand better the decision. Check, specially,
  the "and further delaying..." line in the first paragraph. :)

  Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

From the moment I picked your book up until I put it down I was
convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.
                -- Groucho Marx