Re: KDE 3.5 Release Candidate 1 packages available on alioth

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 03:47 pm, André Wöbbeking wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 20:26, Josh Metzler wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 November 2005 02:17 pm, Yves Glodt wrote:
> > > why not stop wasting resources and halt work on 3.4.3 and go with
> > > 3.5 immediately, anyway etch will come with 3.5 I guess... no?
> >
> > The release team asked us not to do that.  They want the g++
> > allocator transition to go quickly, which means not uploading major
> > new versions of large packages like KDE.
>
> But for the g++ allocator transition all KDE packages must be updated
> anyway. Now you want to update all KDE 3.4 packages to update them some
> days later again with 3.5 packages. Isn't that more work than to go to
> 3.5 directly?

It is more work for us, but not too much.  It is basically just running a
couple of scripts and then rebuilding each package, as KDE 3.4.3 was
already packaged for experimental, and not much has changed since then.

The release team is concerned with both the transition in unstable, and the
transition in testing.  The concern is that uploading KDE 3.5 to unstable
right now might cause a longer delay in getting the g++ allocator
transition (which affects much more than just KDE) into testing.  The
release team doesn't want unstable->testing migrations to stop for any
longer than is necessary.  Hopefully the transition will go quickly and KDE
3.5 can go into unstable soon.

Josh