Re: KDE 3.4 Update

On Friday 18 November 2005 12:22, Richard Ibbotson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just updated my workstation to Debian testing and I'm still
> using KDE 3.3.2.  The result of apt-get upgrade was ......
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   aalib1 abiword abiword-common abiword-doc abiword-help
> abiword-plugins aiksaurus akode alsa-base
>   alsa-utils alsamixergui alsaplayer-alsa alsaplayer-common
> alsaplayer-daemon alsaplayer-esd alsaplayer-gtk
>   alsaplayer-jack alsaplayer-nas alsaplayer-xosd a ....
>  gthumb gtkam gtkam-gimp gtkmorph gtkodbcconfig0 gucharmap
>   gwenview gxine html2text id3v2 ijsgimpprint imagemagick
> initscripts inkscape jackd jpilot jpilot-plugins
>   juk kaboodle kaddressbook kalarm kalzium kamera kandy kappfinder
> karbon karm kasteroids kate katomic
>   kaudiocreator kbabel kbackgammon kbarcode kbattleship kblackbox
> kbounce kbruch kbugbuster kcachegrind
>   kcalc kcharselect kchart kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdat
> kde-i18n-de kde-i18n-engb kde-i18n-fr kde-i18n-ja
>   kdeadmin kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdeartwork.....................
>
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 684 not upgraded.
>

> Was wondering whether it might be possible to update this to KDE
> 3.4 ? Is it stable enough ?

I understand that while the ABI transformation from vers. 1 to version
2 is in progress, you cannot successfully update whole KDE system. I
tried with aptitude, but some programs would be left broken because
they don't yet have newer versions available in testing.

Does anybody know, how long the transformation is going to take?