Re: Xine error

On Monday 19 September 2005 10:48, Derek Broughton was heard to
say:
> And that's precisely why governments do (and should)
> "interfere" in freedom of contract.

Not at all. I should have read it. The fault is entirely mine.

> It's one thing to have a
> freely entered contract, it's something completely different
> when the contract is supposedly in force as soon as you open
> the box - even though you have had no chance to read said
> contract.

I didn't say I didn't have the chance. I said I hadn't read it
prior to purchasing the machine. It was there, fully visible
right along with the rest of the exclusions, like dropping,
crushing, immersion.

It does, however, ensure that I will never buy Sony hardware
without reading the warrantee explicitly again. That is the
power of the "free" market, which does indeed require me to take
care of my self since BigMommyGovernment won't. Not that she
ever does take care of anyone but herself anyway. If she did,
there wouldn't be any Consumer Reports, Underwriters Labs, or
private security agencies of any kind.

I can suggest the articles on http://www.mises.org/ for
information on quite a wide range of topics.

Also, Emperor Linux and LinuxCertified both sell laptops
comparable to this rather remarkable machine with Linux
preinstalled, so there won't be any need to buy a "WinXP" only
machine in the future. That is something I'm very happy about,
and I wish I had known about them prior to this purchase.

If you would like to continue the discussion, shall we go
off-list?

> derek

Curt-

--