Re: backports of latest kde to stable 3.1?

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 09:51, Patrick Dreker wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 14. September 2005 08.10 schrieb Christof Hurschler:
> > Thanks,
> >
> > I guess I'd like to know more concreteley what types of problems could
> > occur.   Will apt install libraries on an otherwise Sarge system, during
> > a KDE upgrade for instance, that could break the system?
>
> The first and most obvious problem will simply be dependency conflicts.
> Some package depends on a central library whose version is only available
> in SID. If that library is not compatible with the apps in Sarge which
> depend on the older version, you will have to use the SID Version of all
> these application, which tends to pull in more and more libraries which
> then aggravate the problem instead of actually solving it.
>
> The main problem with that is that the system tends towards SID, i.e. in
> the long run it will have more and more SID packages installed, which
> usually isn't the point of running Sarge with SID "addons" in the first
> place.
>
> The next "stage" of this problem is, when the dependencies don't catch the
> problem, because of differences in Sarge/SID, and you end up with
> incompatible libraries installed, which then usually causes random programs
> not to work, which cannot be the point of actually running "stable"...
>
> When Woody really started to "grow old" we found on www.debianforum.de that
> more and more people started to "mix and match" and ran Woody+Sarge. We
> actually partially encouraged people to do so, if they needed more
> up-to-date software. But as it turned out after some time we found that
> about 30-40% of all new threads in the forum revolved around problems which
> directly resulted from the Woody+Sarge mix. usually doing a little cleanup
> and lifting the system completely to sarge (which was in testing at that
> time) solved the problems...
>
> In my opinion, if you really need more up-to-date software, either run
> sarge+backports (and choose those backports wisely, as diferent backports
> can conflict with each other) or directly run Etch (Security Support for
> Etch/testing has just been announced...)
>
> > I have a partition image of my system at Sarge state, so that I can go
> > back in a matter of minutes if things get screwed up.
>
> Which *always* is a sane thing to have...
>
> Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thank you very much for your message.  I've only been running Linux for about
a year and a half.  I started with Woody and Backports fpr LDE, and even
tried compiling some KDE applications.  In the end I did what you suggested
and ran a mixed testing/unstable system.  I did at one point have some samba
problems (my desktop computer is also a file and printer server here at home)
in testing that seemed to be resolved in time.

Basically, my priorites are an up-to-date gui and everything else (sambe, cups
etc.) at a stable level.  Right now it seems to be working, and I have KDE
and some other gui stuff at the Sid level.  I'll just have to see how long
and may then move up to a testing/unstable system again..

Chris

--
Dr.-Ing. C. Hurschler
Bodenstedtstr. 13