Re: backports of latest kde to stable 3.1?

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 21:37, Patrick Dreker wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 13. September 2005 21.14 schrieb C. Hurschler:
> > I'm curious as to the advantages of running a backported version to
> > haveing a mixed system with KDE at Sid level.  Is there any technical
> > reason not to use a mixed system?
>
> SID will deviate from Sarge further and further, and with the gcc
> transition there already are Library incompatibilities, which may cause
> real headaches later on.
>
> Generally running mixed environments works, as long as the two dists don'Ät
> deviate too far from each other. Stable + Etch or SID should genrally be
> avoided in my opinion. That just causes more problems than it is worth in
> the long run. Combining Etch (testing) with SID (unstable) is simpler, as
> long one doesn't "flood" the testing system with SID packages.
>
> As often the answer is more like "it depends" than a general resolution ;-)
>
> Patrick

Thanks,

I guess I'd like to know more concreteley what types of problems could occur.
Will apt install libraries on an otherwise Sarge system, during a KDE upgrade
for instance, that could break the system?

I have a partition image of my system at Sarge state, so that I can go back in
a matter of minutes if things get screwed up.

Chris

--
Dr.-Ing. C. Hurschler
Bodenstedtstr. 13