Re: KDE 3.4.1 in sid/alioth

* Anders Ellenshøj Andersen [Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:02:46 +0200]:

> Since the xorg server came into sid, alioth packages of KDE 3.4.1 has
> been broken for me.

  Well, I have upgraded from XFree86 to X.org 6.8.2.dfsg.1-4 and my KDE
  3.4.1 from Alioth is doing fine. So if you put some effort, you should
  be able to get the two playing nice together. ;-)

  OTOH, there are some bits that I haven't upgraded, among them:
  libfam0c102, *aspell*, libopenexr2.

> This means the alioth packages won't be recompiled to fix the various
> dependency problems? It would probably be a waste of time, I guess..

  Well, there's no poing in recompiling for X.org since it works fine
  (you don't get kompmgr but that's not a regression). As for the other
  bits that are broken, there's really no other solution than no
  upgrading those libraries, since you can't get KDE to play nice with
  some transitioned libraries and with some that haven't transitioned
  yet: it's everything or nothing, and KDE 3.4.1 will enter sid when all
  the necessary ones have transitioned.

  In conclusion, you can upgrade large chunks of sid without breaking
  your system, the tricky part is to know which bits to avoid. If you're
  not sure, then the advice by Larry ("avoid the upgrade command")
  sounds quite sensible. Or "run testing for a while"; that would work
  too.

  HTH,

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

We may not return the affection of those who like us, but we always
respect their good judgement.