Re: Need help with KDM/X11 guts...

On Sunday 30 October 2005 08:16 am, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> > So here's the problem.  KDM is up.  I log in as somebody, pick any
> > session type, but let's just use KDE here, so I log in with a KDE
> > session, KDM bows
> > out and passes control over to something.  I'm not sure what that
> > something
> > is, internally.  That something causes a stream of happy looking X11 is
> > doing good things messages to appear in the logs (X.org.0.log probably,
> > but I'm watching so many logs I'm starting to lose track of which window
> > is what.)
> > Then, nothing.  Poof.  Back to KDM.
>
> ~user/.xsession-errors may give you a hint.

Urf.  I was stuck thinking globally, not locally:

Xsession: X session started for [user] at Sun Oct 30 02:35:33 EST 2005
ls: /etc/X11/Xsession.d: Permission denied

Thanks so much for showing me the nose in front of my face!  The directory had
700 permissions for some reason.  I can't believe I missed this for six
hours.

OK, that solved it.  Wonderful.  Thanks again!

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/