Re: Cups+printer install?

On Thursday 04 August 2005 11:27 am, Derek Broughton wrote:

> I have two problems with this thread: first, why did he post to debian-kde
> when he says he doesn't want to install X?; second, why are we giving him
> advice to use the KDE control center???

It looks like the original exchange happened on debian-user, and then someone
said "you might want to ask debian-kde" and then tacked debian-kde on as a
CC.

Either that or I'm missing posts.  My first message in this thread is a reply.

And while we're on this topic anyway, I've found that I *don't* actually like
the KDE printer installer wizard flummy.  I can't quite remember specific
details about what it couldn't do with it, but it was missing some critical
piece to getting an HP inkjet to work on an Ubuntu system.  Ubuntu's CUPS web
interface is hacked because they deem it too dangerous.  I didn't manage to
get where I needed to be with either the KDE configurator or the suggested
GNOME configurator, so I had to spend an afternoon de-hacking the CUPS thing
so I could spend twelve and a half seconds configuring the bliffin' printer
already.  That's why this is sticking in my memory.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/