problems with sound

Untill today the sound system worked just fine and I didn't touch anything.
Here comes the description of the problem: every kde system niotification
plays only from one speaker (I have two), but every non KDE application plays
the sounds from two speakers. If I change the sound system in kcontrol for
example from autodetect to alsa it starts play sounds from two speakers, but
when I restart KDE the sounds are played only from one speaker again. I open
kcontrol again and change the sound system from alsa to autodetect (or even
only change some other value) and the sounds starts play from two speakers
untill I restart KDE. There is one more problem with kde sound notifications
- relatively often when the sound is played the volume juminp up and down.
Can it be fixed? I use sound blaster live! with alsa.
Thanks in advance!