Re: Upgrading KDE and it's dependencies

Alejandro Exojo wrote:
> El Jueves, 7 de Julio de 2005 17:37, Bob Proulx escribió:
> > What are different ways to use aptitude which would be bad?  What is
> > an incorrect way to use aptitude?  I can't really think of any.  So
> > this statement leaves me not knowing what is being discussed.  To be
> > clear I am talking about these commands.  Are any of these incorrect
> > use of aptitude?  If so why?
>
> I was thinking more in mixing the use of aptitude, and apt-get. I mean,
> aptitude stores some extra information in /var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates, that
> AFAIK is ignored by apt-get.

Prior to Sarge aptitude was not the recommended package management
tool.  The common program was apt-get or dselect.  But following the
recommendations in the release notes one will convert to using
aptitude, at least for the upgrade from Woody to Sarge.  So really at
that point they both have to at least tolerate each other.  In Sarge
aptitude is recommended.

Just the same, I can't see any documentation that says mixing apt-get
and aptitude is bad.  (i.e. It should not break your system.)  It just
means that aptitude won't log the installation to the aptitude log
file.  Aptitude won't know that a package was requested by the admin
and may offer it up for removal as an orphan later.  And apt-get may
not be as capable of resolving certain installations or upgrades where
aptitude is able to handle the case.

Bob