Re: Upgrading KDE and it's dependencies

El Miércoles, 6 de Julio de 2005 02:40, Bob Proulx escribió:
>   aptitude dist-upgrade
>   The following NEW packages will be installed:
>   ...new dependencies...
>   The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   ...most kde packages...
>   The following packages will be upgraded:
>   ...useful packages...
>   Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
>
> What answer do you choose?  What are your follow-up actions?  Please
> be specific.

1. aptitude

2. Mark, in the list of upgradable packages, all packages that you don't want
explicitly installed as automatically installed (e.g. kdelibs-data, is a
package that I don't want per se, so I mark it as automatically installed,
and it will be removed if no other package needs it, but kept if another one
needs it).

4. g

5. READ what happens. And with this I mean that you really should try to
understand why it happens, and solve it, because it can be solved. In this
screen you are supposed to check what is scheduled, and change what you don't
want, instead of blindly pressing keys, or assuming everything is done.

> > I know this sounds harsh, but I think you need to keep your suggestions
> > to yourself.  You're leading newbies wildly astray.
>
> I disagree.  One of the base values of Debian is that we will not hide
> our problems.  Unfortunately KDE has definitely had a history of
> upgrade problems.  So please do not ignore the issues.  That is not
> doing users any good service.

What is not going to do a good service to users, is to share a root account
where everyone is doing things in a different way. Teach them to use only
aptitude or only apt-get, but the right way, please.

Right now, is pretty easy to test that the KDE upgrades are working pretty
well (just install sid in a chroot, and upgrade to a recent KDE version), so
if you are experiencing that brokeness, is very probable that is a problem in
your system.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://darkshines.net/ - Jabber ID: suy@bulmalug.net