Re: Menus

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 14:42, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 May 2005 18:23, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Can someone either describe, or point me to a description, of the KDE
> > menu system, please?
>
> As of KDE3.2 the menu is build after the freedesktop.org menu
> specification.
>
> This means that application menu entries are described by .desktop files
> under /usr/share/application or more precisely in any directory listed by
> #> kde-config --path xdgdata-apps

That's annoying.  I have:
/home/derek/.local/share/applications/:/usr/share/applications/
and the local applications directory contains some CrossOver .desktop files
that I created manually.  These do show up in the menu.

> The structure is described by .menu files under /etc/xdg/menus or more
> precisely and directory under
> #> kde-config --path xdgconf-menu

Which contains: /home/derek/.config/menus/:/etc/xdg/menus/

where ~/.config/menus/applications-merged/cxlegacy.menu points to
~/cxoffice/support/xdg-legacy-menus
(<LegacyDir>/home/derek/cxoffice/support/xdg-legacy-menus</LegacyDir>)
which contains two directories "CrossOver" and "Windows_Applications".  Those
directories contain .desktop files and other directories.  However, none of
those files get included into the menu in any way.

> > Also, iirc, KDE used to have a program that would find .desktop files and
> > add them to the K menu.  If it still exists, kubuntu doesn't put it onto
> > a menu. What program is it?
>
> kappfinder

Which I have.  I think this might all be kubuntu related - I think kubuntu is
(very annoyingly) suppressing all sorts of menus - which is why kappfinder
isn't there.  I'll have to try on the kubuntu list.
--
derek