Menus

Can someone either describe, or point me to a description, of the KDE menu
system, please?

I installed Crossover last week, and it failed to create any menu entries
(though it created Desktop shortcuts).  It seems to me that I should be able
to just copy those shortcuts to the correct place in the menu structure, if I
even knew where that was.

Also, iirc, KDE used to have a program that would find .desktop files and add
them to the K menu.  If it still exists, kubuntu doesn't put it onto a menu.
What program is it?
--
derek