confused about startup script for xmodmap

Hi,

I'm using Debian testing / KDE 3.3.2.

I'd like to execute xmodmap once at the initial login.  I guess that
the right startup script is .xinitrc as it contains the line

    test -r $HOME/.Xmodmap      && xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap

Unfortunately, it does not show an effect.  This line gets executed (at
least the line before), $HOME points (at this time) to my home
directory (both tested with echo $HOME > XINITRC) and .Xmodmap is
readable.  xmodmap .Xmodmap executed by hand after startup has the
desired effect.

Another script, e.g., .profile for xmodmap works but gives errors as it
can be called at most once.

Now, I'm confused about the proper script for the call of xmodmap.
Could you please tell me the right script and explain the behavior.  I
would also appreachiate a pointer to the appropriate section in a
manual.

Thank you, Uli

PS. I know, xmodmap is old style but read the following thread why I
still want to use it:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linux.debian.maint.kde/browse_frm/thread/3dee015f30a40780/e14886c6d90f6db7#e14886c6d90f6db7