Re: crashes and hangs in KDE 3.4

* Martin Steigerwald [Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:22:20 +0200]:
> Am Montag 28 März 2005 18:37 schrieb Gerrit Jan Baarda:
> > On Monday 28 March 2005 15:55, Andrew Schulman wrote:

> > > Yes, indeed.  I always do that with a new point release of KDE: move
> > > .kde out of the way, start fresh, and then start customizing.

> > That shouldn't  be neccesary, is it? To me that sounds very similar to
> > 'Just reinstall' on another well known OS.....

> yes, it shouldn't be necessary. I didn't do it and still got a working KDE
> 3.4. But in case of a problem, trying this might give a hint at what is
> going wrong - as there is often a "shouldn't be" in combination "and it
> still is". ;) At least that's my experiences especially with previous KDE
> releases.

  Exactly. I've never needed to do it in at least two years, and KDE has
  mostly always preserved my configuration. To be sincere, I've
  occasionally removed the config files for an application that
  misbehaved, e.g. some first versions of amaroK, but that was the
  exception, not the rule.

  OTOH, experience tells me that it indeed much trouble people find goes
  away if they remove ~/.kde. Still, it seems to me a much better
  approach to find the concrete files that are causing the problem and
  remove only those (remember the knotifyrc file?), rather than removing
  them all.

  I think most people really value their KDE configuration. At least I
  know I do. :)

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

A lie can go round the world before the truth has got its boots on.
                -- Terry Pratchett