Re: crashes and hangs in KDE 3.4

Am Montag 28 März 2005 12:42 schrieb Andrew Schulman:
> I love KDE, and 3.4 is the best and nicest looking version
> yet.  But I'm sick of my applications crashing all the time.
>
> kicker and kopete both crash every time I log out.

Hello Andrew,

Kicker works here. I dont use Kopete.

> k3b crashes every time I drag several files into a project list.

Works here, too.

> juk crashes every time I select a certain
> playlist.  I made the playlist, and later changed some of the file
> names.  Now to get rid of it I'll have to either undo the file name
> changes, or else hack my juk config files.

Hmmm, had no JuK crashes so far. But I only set up one playlist so far.

> knode crashes randomly, about once a day.

I don't use KNode yet.

> And, my login still hangs about 75% of the time as it restores the
> session. I have to log in on a different VT and pkill klauncher, after
> which login continues.

I do not have this behaviour.

> Is this just
> me?  Or are other people suffering from this too?  It almost makes me
> want to go back to 3.3.

As I didn't have much of the problems you told here I suspect a problem
with your KDE 3.4 installation / setup. To track this it would possible
be needed to do in-depth comparisons of config files and installed
versions of related debian packages.

Did you try using KDE 3.4 with a freshly created KDE configuration
(move .kde directory out of the way and let it create a new one)? What
Debian version do you use? I use mostly Sarge with some parts of Sid.

I dont want to go back to KDE 3.3. I like 3.4 quite much. It crashes less
than KDE 3.3. The Kontact crash-on-exit behaviour that I had with 3.3 is
completely gone now for example.

Regards,