Re: What's the best way to safely remove kde apps?

On Monday 21 February 2005 10:44, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:

> What are you trying to say here?
>
> That aptitude is shit?

Yeah!  Wanna make something of it :-)

No, seriously, it probably works, but it _doesn't_ play well with apt-get.

>  - It's not, it rocks! And Aptitude keeps my holds. You must have been
> using an old version that had some kind of bug. It hasn't always been as
> predictable as it is now.

I don't think so.  I believe it ignores holds made with dpkg, but provides
much more flexible management within itself. So, I play with sid - with daily
upgrades - and every now and then get burned by a bad package.  I back it
out, reinstall the old one, and put it on hold until I see a different new
package in sid.  I'm sure I could learn to do this purely in aptitude, but
when I last tried aptitude and it immediately replace a 'held' package, I
tossed it.
> That you don't get all of arts, with just kdebase and kdelibs?
>
>  - Well I am not 100% sure, but I feel like I remember that after selecting
> kdelibs and kdebase, also selecting arts will not install any further
> packages, besides the arts metapackage.

I suppose it's possible :-)  I have a kde-free ubuntu installation that I was
going to play with at lunchtime, I'll take a look there to see.
--
derek