Re: wrong locale in kpackage kde 3.3.2

On Friday 11 February 2005 15:17, Mauro Darida wrote:
> On Thursday 10 February 2005 19:04, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Friday 04 February 2005 20:51, Mauro Darida wrote:
> > > I have noticed that every time I install a package from kpackage it
> > > gives the following warnings:
> > > perl:warning:Setting locale failed.
> > > perl:warning:Please check that your locale settings:
> > > LANGUAGE=(unset)
> > > LC_ALL="en_US"
> > > LANG=(unset)
> > > are supported and installed on your system
> > > perl:warning:Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
> > >
> > > This is what I have in my system locale settings:
> > > # cat /etc/profile
> > > # /etc/profile: system-wide .profile file for the Bourne shell (sh(1))
> > > # and Bourne compatible shells (bash(1), ksh(1), ash(1), ...).
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > #
> > > # Imposto la localizzazione
> > > LANG=en_IE@euro
> > > export LANG
> > > LC_CTYPE=en_IE@euro
> > > export LC_CTYPE
> > > LC_ALL=en_IE@euro
> > > export LC_ALL
> >
> > AFAIK /etc/profile is not read when you log in through KDM.
> > The proper place to set default LANG and LANGUAGE is /etc/environment.
> >
> > If you want per user settings, I think ~/.kde/env/<some script> is the
> > proper place.
> >
> Ok, I modified /etc/environment:
> LANG=en_IE@euro
> LC_CTYPE=en_IE@euro
> and removed LC_ALL from /etc/profile. This is the new kpackage output:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>  LANGUAGE = (unset),
>  LC_ALL = "en_US",
>  LANG = "en_IE@euro"
>     are supported and installed on your system.

Try:
o first reboot ;)
o grep in your home .* and in /etc/  where the bogus LC_ALL is set.
  (then find and pester the orignator with a bug report ;)

Workarounds:
o Try to start kdm/gdm/startx from a console window that has a
  korrect LC* and LANG settings.  (Check with locale command)
o start kpackage is a window that has correct  LC* and LANG
  settings (Check with locale command)

Achim
[...]

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com