Multiple desktops not being saved at logoff

I'm using KDE 3.2.3 under Debian 3 and having difficulty getting it to remember that I always want 4 virtual desktops. That was the default at installation, but somewhere down the line I did something and now whenever I log on I only get the one desktop. So I fire up the Control Center (3.2.2) and set it to 4, press Apply and I have my 4 virtual desktops. Then when I log out, I choose Save Settings from the logout dialogue.

Sadly, when I boot the computer next time, KDE has forgotten all about my multiple desktops and just gives me the one.

I'd really like to be able to set this and forget it, but can't find out how. Must be possible, since 4 is the default, but so far I get nowhere, and searching of archives etc has yielded nothing helpful.

Hope someone knows what I need to do.
Thanks
Rob Clack