Re: Lost system notifications

Alan Chandler wrote:
Last week sometime, I rebooted linux 2.4 (from 2.6). As a result sound was not installed (because 2.6 uses alsa).

I logged into my kde account and obviously something there detected that there was no sound server because sound for the system notifications has stopped. Playing with control centre does not get it back - although testing sound within the "sound system" page of the control centre does actually play something.

I can log into root and kde plays the system startup notification there just fine.

I presume there is something in ./kde/share/config that I need to tweak. Can someone point me at what.

Thanks

Since sound plays when you log in as root but not as a regular user, I suspect there is a permission issue on the sound device. Make sure your regular user is a member of the audio group along with the sound devices.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User