Re: Font Problems

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 03:49 am, Tim Ruehsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i don't see the mentioned colors, but my fonts look also 'rugged' since the
> dist-upgrade yesterday. It came up this morning after booting.
>
> Tim
>
> Am Dienstag, 26. Oktober 2004 09:20 schrieb Michael Thaler:
> > Hello,
> >
> > after updating my Debian SID machine, my fonts started to look really
> > weird. The edges of the fonts are red, blue and green. I tried to turn
> > subpixel rendering on and off in KControl and I also tried different
> > options for subpixel rendering: rgb, bgr, vertical rgb, vertical bgr. It
> > does change the way the fonts look. For rgb and bgr i have red, green and
> > blue edges on the right and on the left of the font. For vertical rgb and
> > bgr I have red,
>
> green
>
> > and blue edges at the upper and the lower edge of the font. If I turn of
> > antialiasing completely, the fonts look really bad. They look kind of
> > rugged (sorry, I don't know if this is exactly the right word). Does
> > anyone know
>
> how
>
> > to fix this? I am using fontconfig version 2.2.3-2, libfontconfig 2.2.3-2
>
> and
>
> > libxft2 2.1.2-6 and an Fujitsu-Siemens P17 LCD Display,
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > --
>
> listmaster@lists.debian.org

I think the main user-visible change in fontconfig was that freetype now
defaults to using the autohinter module (you can comment it out
in /etc/fonts/local.conf by putting <!--  and --> around the <match
target="font"> ... "autohint" ... </match> lines.)  I don't know what the
KControl module does to enable/disable sub-pixel rendering, but you can also
comment out that section of the local.conf file, too, if it is uncommented.

Relevant portion of changelog:
   * fontconfig.templates: default the autohinter to "true", but keep the
     subpixel rendering to "false". This is because the bytecode interpreter
     (previous default) renders very badly on TFT screens, and the subpixel
     rendering looks bad on non-RGBA screens (closes: #268321).

Josh