Re: apt-* (dist-)upgrade 3.1.4 to 3.2.2 Woody Debs Very Alarming

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 03:47:36 +0100, I wrote:

>I'd like to try out the upgrade path from KDE 3.1.4 to KDE 3.2.2 using
>the Woody debs that someone (Andreas Mueller ?) has posted at
>download.kde.org.
>
>My system is running vanilla Woody, apart from XFree86 which I
>upgraded from Woody's 4.1.0 to backports.org's 4.2.1 some while back.
>I'm currently running the Ralf Nolden download.k.o KDE 3.1.4 debs.
[...]
>As you can see, a plain "upgrade" will only upgrade my XFree86, plus
>some random _parts_ of KDE (the rest would be _removed_).
>
>On the other hand, a "dist-upgrade" would do much the same *and* would
>_remove_ huge unrelated, and in some cases *vital* parts of my system
>... such as MySQL, Samba, PPP, Freeswan, man-db, fetchmail, htdig,
>ssh, gcc, etc., etc.

Two things :

1)  It turns out I'm not the only one with this problem - two other
people have mailed me off list to say this affects them too, and to
ask if I've found a solution yet.

2)  I'm trying to move this forward by attempting to downgrade my
XFree86 4.2.1 (from www.backports.org) to the V4.1.0 that comes with
vanilla Woody - however, that isn't looking very easy at all - I
haven't actually done it yet, but simulations with various apt
commands are not offering to do what I want at all ... See my post on
this list today :
  Subject "How To Downgrade XFree86 From 4.2.1 to 4.1.0 ?"
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2004/07/msg00198.html

Anyway, thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.