Re: How to get rid of KVim

On Wednesday, 23 Jun 2004 21:14, David Goodenough wrote:
> It seems to be a pre-req for any KDE install, try to remove it (at least
> under Debian) and most of KDE seems to want to go away.

It is not.

# apt-get remove kvim
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kvim
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 1892kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

> Why was KVim added as the default editor (at least when you
> open files with Konqueror) when we have so many other good
> editors?

Most likely because vimpart is installed. From "apt-cache show vimpart":

 This package allows the text editor Vim to be embedded into a number of
 different KDE applications.  It does this by encapsulating Vim within a
 KPart (an embedded KDE component).
 .
 Applications that can make use of the Vim part include KDevelop,
 Konqueror and KWrite.
 .
 Note that this component requires a graphical version of Vim (such as KVim
 or GVim) to be installed separately.  The Vim component may also need
 to be configured before use - this can be done in the KDE Components
 section of the KDE Control Centre.
 .
 This package is part of the KDE add-ons module.

(end)

It would seem to be a reasonable assumption that if one has installed vimpart,
one wants to use it rather than the default Embedded Advanced Text Editor.
Naturally, this is still configurable from the Control Centre->KDE
Components->Component Chooser->Embedded text editor.

> I know I can go through all the associations in Konqueror and
> remove KVim, but I want to do it automatically so that my users
> do not keep on having to replicate this action.

My guess is that the reason programs would be removed along with kvim is that
those programs have been installed through metapackages such as kde-extras,
kdeaddons, and kdekitchensink.

If you desperately need the 1.8 MiB, the individual packages of those
metapackages do not require kvim or vimpart and can be installed
individually. Simply choosing another editor component would seem easier,
though.

--
Alex Nordstrom