Re: default file permissions

Ulrich Fürst writes:

> Antiphon schrieb:
>> The executable bit can be applied to files and directories alike
>> since, in reality, a directory is merely just a kind of file.
>> rw-rw---- would be 660
> So setting my umask to 006 would lead to let new files be 660,
> right?

  UMASK(2)                   Linux Programmer's Manual                  UMASK(2)

  NAME
         umask - set file creation mask

  SYNOPSIS
         #include <sys/types.h>
         #include <sys/stat.h>

         mode_t umask(mode_t mask);

  DESCRIPTION
         umask sets the umask to mask & 0777.

         The  umask  is  used  by  open(2)  to set initial file permissions on a
         newly-created file.  Specifically, permissions in the umask are  turned
         off  from  the  mode  argument  to open(2) (so, for example, the common
         umask default value of 022 results in new files being created with per-
         missions  0666  &  ~022  = 0644 = rw-r--r-- in the usual case where the
         mode is specified as 0666).

  RETURN VALUE
         This system call always succeeds and the previous value of the mask  is
         returned.

  CONFORMING TO
         SVr4, SVID, POSIX, X/OPEN, BSD 4.3

  SEE ALSO
         creat(2), open(2)

  Linux                             1998-08-09                          UMASK(2)

;)

cheers
domi