libstdc++ dependencies

Hi all.

I gave a search of the list and nothing obvious came up.

For debian testing, I'm having the following problem...
certain kde packages (e.g. karbon) give the following error when
started:

--------------
karbon: /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.5: version `GLIBCPP_3.2.2' not found
(required by /usr/lib/libkofficecore.so.2)
----------

and many other libs in addition to libkofficecore.

It appears that many kde libraries (e.g. libkofficecore) debend on
GLIBCPP_3.2.2.  The dependencies for kdelibs4 show a dependence on
libstdc++5 (>= 1:3.3.3-1), and I have installed 1:3.3.3-6.  And
libstdc++5,1:3.3.3-6 owns /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.5.  A readelf on
this
file shows that it defines symbols such as:
    37: 00057780   101 FUNC    WEAK   DEFAULT   11 somefunc@@GLIBCPP_3.2
but no "@@GLIBCPP_3.2.2".

I'm sorry that my knowledge of debian's handling of c++ ABI issues is not
up to speed (this might be why the libs live in /usr/local?)... and sorry
if this is a known issue.  It also seems like it is in flux now... my
konqueror from several weeks ago behaved (didn't even start) this way but
now is fine -- I didn't notice if it was the konqueror package that
changed or the libstdc++

Anyway, if someone understands the situation and would like to explain or
point me to the relevant info, I'd be much obliged.

Cheers,
Craig