Re: KDE 3.2.2 Sluggish

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 03:40:20PM -0400, Sean J. Fraley wrote:

> famd is a daemon that monitors the different mounted filesystems that you have
> mounted and notifies other programs of any changes.  This is what allows, for
> example, Konqueror to automatically update the view of a given folder every
> time a file is added or deleted.  That way you don't have to explicitly tell
> it to refresh the view anytime you want to see if any changes have been made.
> I personally find it pretty handy to have, but it's not absolutely necessary
> for KDE to function properly.

If you don't have famd, KDE polls the files directly.  It's not a big
overhead to poll a few files (which will be in cache), if you find famd's
disadvantages are large - just try unmounting and remounting something
(camera/memorystick for instance) you've opened in Konqueror that famd
knows about.

That said, I still run it, I just unload it every time it causes a problem
(and never notice the difference).  One day I'll uninstall it ...

Nick