Re: KDE 3.2.2 Sluggish

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:28:47PM -0700, Matt Rechkemmer wrote:
> I've been using KDE with Sid for sometime now, however, since the upgrade from
> 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 KDE has been horrendously slow.  Sometimes, I'll click on a
> "launcher" icon, and have to watch it get stuck; same behavior with the K
> Menu.
>
> Here's a screenshot of the aterm launcher (the tux icon) getting stuck:
> http://tiberius.trancell.org/stuckkde.jpg
>
> My box isn't particularly slow, 2.0GHz, 256MB RAM, GF4, so the sluggish
> behavior, puzzles me.  I've ran fc-cache as the user and as root, with no
> effect.
>
> Is there anything else I can do, to improve KDE performance?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

I'm having a problem that might be related.  A lot of my clicks are
getting lost.  This is true regardless of whether I'm clicking a KDE
item or a non-KDE app.  I'm doing a lot of double-clicking or holding
my clicks for a bit to be sure they go through.  Other than that,
speed seems OK.  I'm on a 700 or 800 Mhz Athlon.

I have only noticed this since I started running a second session on a
second virtual terminal (done by modifying /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers with
:1 local@tty2  /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :1 vt8
).  It seems somewhat worse when I have an actual KDE session going,
rather than just the kdm greeter.

I ran a similar configuration with earlier versions of KDE without any
problems.

My first thought was that this was an XFree issue, but there are a lot
of possible culprits and I don't know how to track it down.  It's also
only an annoyance right now.  If you're stuck permanently, you have a
much worse problem.