Re: KDM (3.2.2 woody) login without password???

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 00:13, Chris Cheney wrote:
> > I have just installled the new 3.2.2 packages for woody from ftp.kde.org
> > and now KDM does not care about passwords any more. Everyone (incl. root)
> > can log in with any password.
> >
> > I have tried to set NoPassEnable=false, but it does not help either...
> >
> > Package version: 3.2.2-0.credativ.1
> >
> > Does anyone know something about that? I could not find any bug report.
>
> It probably needs a different /etc/pam.d file the one that is in the
> sid debs uses the common-* stuff from newer pam, so that might be the
> cause if its being used for woody by mistake.

Hello Chris!

Thanks a lot. That fixed the problem.

Yes,the file /etc/pam.d/kdm from KDE 3.2.2 looks like this:

@include common-auth
@include common-account
@include common-password
@include common-session

auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_env.so
session    required     pam_limits.so

I have taken /etc/pam.d/kdm from (my old) KDE 3.1.5 installation:

#%PAM-1.0

auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_unix.so shadow nullok
auth       required     pam_env.so
account    required     pam_unix.so
session    required     pam_unix.so
session    required     pam_limits.so

# (Remove `md5' after the module name to disable MD5 passwords

password   required     pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

# Alternate strength checking for password. Note that this
# requires the libpam-cracklib package to be installed.
# You will need to comment out the password line above and
# uncomment the next two in order to use this.
# (Replaces the `OBSCURE_CHECKS_ENAB', `CRACKLIB_DICTPATH')
#
# password required       pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=6 difok=3
# password required       pam_unix.so use_authtok nullok md5

Additionally, i have removed /etc/pam.d/kdm-np (What is it for? It was not
in 3.1.5 ...).

Now kdm works as expected again!

Bye, Steffen