Could not contact DCOP ?

Hullo.

I've been running KDE on about 25 identical diskless machines using PXE
network booting / NFS root / NIS login / NFS homedirs quite successfully for
a couple of months now, but there's one problem that I can't solve.

Every now and again, for no discernable reason, the machine will refuse to run
any more applications, and instead choose to display a dialog box saying
"<appname> could not contact DCOP" - from that point, the user must log off,
and log in again, at which point all is rosy.

The actual text of the message may be different (it's been a day or two since
I was at the call centre) but I expect the meaning comes across.

I'm experienced at maintaining Linux in a server environment, but am less so
with desktops - I've been using KDE on my own desktop for the last 18 months,
but haven't experienced this problem (that said, I use a hard disk, and no
NFS / initrd boot trickery)

the machines were originally using a CVS snapshot of KDE 3.2.1 from Debian
experimental, and are now running 3.2.1. The instances of this problem has
dropped as a result of the upgrade, and I'll be testing the 3.2.2 packages
this week hopefully.

Of course it's near impossible to provide a solution based on the scant
information I have provided, but could someone provide a few pointers for me
to check when this next happens?

e.g. what processes should be running? should anythng appear in the logs? any
commandlines for me to try to talk to the 'dcopserver' directly to aid in the
problem diagnosis?

Aside from this periodic annoyance, the call centre admins have been very
pleased with KDE and have been greatly enjoying life without viruses,
trojans, spyware and malware - a big thank-you from all of us!

Cheers,
Gavin.