Re: Where can I set $PATH when login from kdm

Am Friday 09 April 2004 04:58 schrieb blue_stone:
> When I use kdm to login into kde,I cannot play games by clicking K-menu.

When you selected KDE from kdm, nothing of ~/.bashrc, ~/.profile or
~/.xsession will be executed.
I had this problem, too (message "environment problems with KDM and Konsole").
I solved it myself with the following:
$ cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10local_userenv
#include user's environment settings
USERENVFILE=$HOME/.environment
if [ -f $USERENVFILE ]; then
    source $USERENVFILE;
fi

That will include the ~/.environment in the X startup process. It could be
made better to only include variables (right now, programs can be run, too).

As an alternative, change the first line in /usr/bin/startkde to
#! /bin/sh -l
and ~/.profile will get included. However, you have to change that on every
upgrade or use dpkg-divert.

To use ~/.xsession can get you in trouble because it is used as replacement
for global xsession script.

~/.bashrc in used when you open e.g. konsole.

HS

        oder über pgp.net