X mysteriously slow, no clue why

Hi,

I have this REALLY weird problem right now. My whole X has suddenly
started to be really slow. KDE used to be really snappy and nice to
use, now it's really sluggish and slow to respond.

I have really run out of ideas where this is coming from. I tried
finding out what processes might hog the processor with ksysguard,
top and ps but I had absolutely no luck. The only thing that ever
uses about 30-40% processor time is X.

The only weird thing was this, from the output of top:
 1636 root       5 -10  187m  55m 133m S  7.5 11.0  10:09.30 XFree86
Why would X have used so much processor time, even though the machine
is just up for two hours?

I tried shutting down all unnecessary daemons, everything. Nothing
improves this sluggishness. I don't know exactly when this started,
it certainly wasn't associated with an update.

I run Debian unstable with all the newest packages, including KDE
3.2.1 and XFree86 4.3.

Does anybody have a suggestion here? I'm really running out of
ideas... Thanks in advance,
	Magnus