Fwd: Re: KDE 3.2: Control Center almost gone

Jeff, you are using a reply-to: field.
I am sending my reply to you to the list now.

J.

Subject: Re: KDE 3.2: Control Center almost gone
Date: Monday 22 March 2004 18:29
From: John van Spaandonk <j.spaandonk@chello.nl>
To: jeffelkins@earthlink.net

On Monday 22 March 2004 15:00, Jeff Elkins wrote:
> On Sunday 21 March 2004 09:32 pm, jedd wrote:
> >On Mon March 22 2004 01:15 pm, Jeff Elkins wrote:
> > ] I've done both. I dist-upgraded a Mepis system to 3.2 and it was hosed.
> > I ] wiped the box, installed Woody/KDE, dist-upgraded to Sid and it's
> > working w/o ] any major problems.
> >
> > I still don't get why people think a pretty installer warrants such
> > on-going pain.  It's the old half-hour install .v. lifetime of
> > maintenance argument all over again, I know.  Nonetheless, I don't get
> > it.
>
> In my case it was time pressure. I had a Xmas laptop for a granddaughter,
> Windows 98 onboard, and only hours to get it ready and packed. Mepis saved
> my butt and prevented child abuse -- exposing a young kid to Windows :)
>
> Jeff

And I my (other than the described) case I had a Knoppix cd handy.
It took me ages to remove the Knoppix stuff from all nooks and crannies of
the system.
I definitely recommend using the (100MB beta 3) testing installer to start
from testing, which should be very stable by now.
I guess this will become even easier when full (with working installer)
testing cd images become available over the next months.

Then see what packages need to be newer and use sid for only those.
That's what I'm going to do with this box.

Good luck,

John