KDE 3.2 experimental seems sluggish

Excuse me if this is a FAQ.  I am mostly pleased with the experimental
debs of KDE3.2 made available recently.  Thanks goes to the individuals
involved.

I have noticed that the graphical performance seems sluggish.  By this I
mean when switching from one virtual window to another (example ctrl-F1,
ctrl-F2, etc.), the time to see the new screen is on the order of a few
seconds whereas under KDE3.1.5, it was less than a second.  This machine
has plenty of memory.  Indeed, the swap space has not been touched.

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory