Re: Update of libxrender causes relocation error on startup of KDE

On Wed 08 Oct 2003 12:40 pm, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2003 19:17, Chris Cheney wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 11:06:23AM +0200, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > > On startup I get an error message, "Could not start kdeinit...",
> > > and the first few lines of ~/.xsession-errors look like this
> > >
> > > startkde: Starting up...
> > > kdeinit: relocation error: /usr/lib/libXcursor.so.1: undefined
> > > symbol: XRenderFindStandardFormat
> > > startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.
> > > Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> > > _KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
> > >
> > > KDE does start up nevertheless. This happens, apparently, after
> > > yesterday's update to libxrender1. I'm using the prelink package to
> > > prelink all executables and shared libs. To make sure the error
> > > isn't caused by some inconsistent state I freshly prelinked
> > > everything, but the error persisted afterwards. Going back to
> > > libxrender1 0.8.2-1 helped, though. Otherwise I'm running the
> > > latest sid.
> >
> > These type of errors wrt relocation errors seem to be fairly common
> > with KDE. However, I have never seen them on my own box. Perhaps you
> > need to disable prelink completely for the error to go away? Even
> > with the new libxrender1 I can still run KDE fine and get no error
> > messages related to relocations in .xsession-errors
>
> Prelinking isn't the cause of the problem, apparently. I've undone it,
> still I get an error with libxrender 0.8.3-1 but not with 0.8.2-1.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Schuerig              I was blessed with a birth and a death and
> mailto:michael@schuerig.de      I guess I just want some say in between.
> http://www.schuerig.de/michael/         --Ani DiFranco, "Talk To Me Now"

I've never had prelink turned on, and I'm getting these errors as well.  I
suppose that rules out prelink as the source of the problem.  So far, it
doesn't appear to be very tragic.  Asside from the error dialog, KDE still
appears to work fine.

Doug