Re: latest kde 3.1.2

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 03:01:04PM +0100, David Marsh wrote:

> [Interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments]
>
> Alexander Opitz wrote in gmane.linux.debian.user.kde:
>  about: Re: latest kde 3.1.2
>
> > Am Mittwoch, 21. Mai 2003 13:13 schrieb David Marsh:
> >
> >> I have similar problems.
> >> I'm running 'testing' and when I tried to upgrade to KDE 3.1.2,
> > ......................^^^^^^^^
> >

> >> Now when I try to install KDE 3.1.2, using..
> >> deb http://download.kde.org/stable/latest/Debian/ stable main
> > ...............................................^^^^^^^^
> >

> > That's where the problems come from.
>
> I presume I was being naive in assuming that there was backwards
> compatibility, that I could run code for an older system on a newer
> system..? :-(
>
> > But also there is no KDE version for testing.
>
> None whatsoever?
>
> Does this mean that I would have to downgrade back to stable
> (is there an easy way to do that?) or upgrade to unstable (which I
> definitely do not plan to do!). Drat..
>

> >> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >>   kdelibs4: Depends: libarts1 (>= 1.1.2) but it is not going to be
> >> installed Depends: libvorbis0 (>= 1.0rc3-1) but it is not installable
> >> Depends: kdelibs-bin (= 4:3.1.2-0woody1)
> >
> > Have you an up to date package file??
>
> Yes.
>
> > libarts (from testing) should depend on libvorbis0a (>=1.0.0) and this file is
> > inside testing. Try again with libarts1 from testing.
>
> I install libarts1 (1.1.2-1), but kdelibs4 (is this the first KDE
> package I should install, I'm not sure what order the KDE packages
> should be installed in), still complains:
>

> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   kdelibs4: Depends: libarts1 (>= 1.1.2) but it is not going to be installed
>             Depends: libvorbis0 (>= 1.0rc3-1) but it is not installable
>             Depends: kdelibs-bin (= 4:3.1.2-0woody1)
> E: Sorry, broken packages
>

> which is bizarre as libarts1 (at the requested version) *is* installed,
> and then I have the problem that it wantss libvorbis0 (not libvorbis0a)
> again..
>
> This is just going around in circles.. :-(

I came across this too. It's easy to get sorted. Just note, that Arts
from Sarge is 1.1.2-1 and Arts from KDE is 1.1.2-0. That's the reason.
All KDE packages are available, but Sarge's Arts is considered _newer_
and thus, in dselect you see only it's version of Arts, 1.1.2-1, and
NOT the KDE's one (1.1.2-0woody)! :) Now when KDE's package requests
Arts, dselect will automaticly select it for you, but _wrong_ version,
the Sarge's one, which has incompatible dependencies in combination with
for-woody-compiled KDE.

This is because ftp.kde.org is compiled for WOODY and _not_ SARGE.
That's why there are these dependency problems.

All you have to do (as I did and everything works ok) is to manually
download KDE's complete Arts 1.1.2-0 (using an ftp client) and WOODY's
version of libvorbis0. Remove any installed Arts and all (currently
installed, Sarge's) libvorbis dependencies. And "dpkg -i *.deb". That
should do it. Maybe you will have to give up something, what depends on
libvorbis, but that's the price you pay :) As far as I know, I didn't
have to remove any other package because of that dependency. Just
libvorbis's -dev, which you probably don't have installed at all.

For any further questions, just ask. Hope this helps. It needs just a
bit of tweaking.

Sincerely,
Dave