Re: Odd pauses with KDE 3

Am Donnerstag, 1. Mai 2003 20:33 schrieb James Greenhalgh:
> On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 12:14, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > I have the feeling that this problem is ultimately some sort of odd
> > locking problem. It might be in Konqueror itself (though why, then, does
> > the whole system seem to freeze?), or in glibc, or the X server, or even
> > the kernel (though why, then, does only Konqueror cause it?). Funny.
> I'm pretty sure its konqueror itself.

This could be, as konqueror needs very long to display home directories when
there are many hidden files. It seems to check all files and directories
before filtering out the hidden ones :( Try starting konqueror within another
home directory to see if that's it.

Or you are using some filesharing client like lmule and your disk is heavily
fragmented. While reading/copying fragmented files, konqueror needs up to
nearly a minute on my Athlon 1700 XP, while reading/copying unfragmented
files this becomes never more than 5 seconds.
Don't forget that all linux filesystems like to have at least 10% of free
space all the time.

KDE Apps tend to use the hard disk rather often, even when started. An example
is KMail, where redrawing the mail window (change to the desktop with kmail
on it) takes some seconds while the disk is heavily working. So KDE Apps seem
to be more vulnerable to disk fragmentation.
Unfortunately there is no working defrag for ext3, and many dinosaurs say
things like "Linux doesn't suffer from fragmentation" which was a nearly true
sentence until file sharing programs were used to download several huge files
in parallel over days/weeks.

--
Thomas Ritter

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin