Re: Odd pauses with KDE 3

James Michael Greenhalgh wrote:

> On April 30, 2003 01:29 pm, Craig Dickson wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, or suggestions for
> > things I should check? This problem does not occur under Gnome 2 or in
> > other non-KDE environments, even on the same machine.
>
> Try running fc-cache as root. This has been known to cause slow downs
> if your fontconfig cache is out of date. Also check your version of
> libstdc++5 , if it's pre6, there are known recent errors and you may
> have to revert to pre5 or wait for your mirror to get pre7 (which
> should be within 24 hours)

Thanks, but these are not my problems. Running fc-cache can fix up a
long delay when kdm is starting up, but I'm talking about a delay that
occurs while KDE is up, both when new Konqueror processes (specifically
Konqueror, nothing else) are started, and when the KDE save file dialog
is being manipulated (and come to think of it, this was in Konqueror --
I was saving a web page -- so maybe this whole problem is only in
Konqueror).

The libstdc++5 problem caused C++ programs to fail to start entirely,
not to pause strangely while they were running. In any case, I had
downgraded to -pre5 within minutes of -pre6 being installed, as -pre6
was obviously causing problems. I'm now on -pre7, which seems to work.

I have the feeling that this problem is ultimately some sort of odd
locking problem. It might be in Konqueror itself (though why, then, does
the whole system seem to freeze?), or in glibc, or the X server, or even
the kernel (though why, then, does only Konqueror cause it?). Funny.

Craig