Kmplayer not interfacing with arts

I just built kmplayer 0.7.4a from source, and am having audio problems.  It
has no trouble rendering video, but it seems that it can't interface with
arts for audio output.  It shows arts as an option for audio output, but
effectively all that does is place "-ao arts" into the command line when it
executes mplayer itself.  If I run "mplayer -ao help", I don't have an arts
output filter listed.  Has anyone had and solved this problem?  I guess I
could always hack the source of kmplayer and make it call "artsdsp
mplayer...".

Thanks,

Jim