Qt Changes ahead - Info for package maintainers + developers

Hi,

as I'm working with Martin to finish up the packaging and restructuring, we're
close to the end of that. As in particular one change will affect literally
everyone unfortunately that either maintains a Qt application package or a
KDE package, I'd like to inform you of the forseeable problems ahead.

Let me point out what it is, what we did (or intend to do), what that means
for you in terms of what you need to do to make your apps compile again :-)

Ok, long time ago someone (probably Ivan) packaged Qt that it follows these
rules:

$QTDIR=/usr/share/qt

Qt includes -> /usr/include/qt
Qt libraries -> /usr/lib

Now that Martin already moved the QTDIR to /usr/share/qt3 for his Qt3 package,
and the problems to combine all 4 Qt versions (Qt3, Qt2, Qt3-embedded,
Qt2-embedded) so that they work for developers in whichever way they want to
use the and the recompile orgy and importing of Qt3/KDE3 apps into sid, I
think this is the one time chance to finally fix those issues once and for
all. Therefore, we intend to change the include path to the Qt 3 header files
from /usr/include/qt to /usr/include/qt3.

This is the best thing to do and the next step would be to rework on Qt 2 with
Ivan to make it match the requirements for parallel installation for
developers with the minimum of pain and no file conflicts. I haven't had a
too close look at Qt 2 yet because the work with Martin on Qt3 consumed my
last 3 weeks alone already due to the problems we had until yesterday
afternoon :-) so please bear with us.

What needs to be done if you want to recompile your package that you maintain
which needs Qt 3 ?

a) Chris Cheney:  update kde-common/admin/debianrules and fix
kdelibs/debian/dh-make template that people are going to use to produce KDE
debs with.

b) Ben, Chris: you probably need to recompile your packages after updating
admin/debianrules

c) Any Qt3 package maintainer: use --with-qt-includes=/usr/include/qt3 in case
configure can't find the Qt includes in that path by itself.

I'm sorry that this has to happen but due to the sluggish inconsistent
maintenance of Qt in Debian this is probably the best time to fix those
issues during the transition at the same time.

If you have any serious objection, please ask Ivan and Martin to answer you
because I'll be away to NordU in Västeras from tomorrow morning on.

Thank you for your patience and attention and your understanding for packagers
that aren't free of doing mistakes once in a while :-)

Ralf
- --
Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org