Re: Ruined KDE Install

Joseph A. Nagy, 2003-Dec-17 20:56 -0600:
> Okay, I had KDE 3.1.4 installed and working (mostly, had problems with
> '/dev/dsp' permissions). Then I started messing around with updating
> stuff and one thing led to another and the next thing I know I've
> totaled my KDE install. I've tried 'apt-get install kde* -t testing'
> but there are so many packages and dependencies it can't handle them
> all. HELP! Installing the KDE packages one at a time is too slow.
>
> Also, I can run some programs like konsole, kmail (obviously) and that's
> about it (of what I have installed that's what I've tried). Can you
> folks help?

Your dependancies could be causing trouble if your apt preferences
aren't set right.

Try this:

Set your /etc/apt/preferences to (the "stable" section is optional):
<bof>
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian, a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian, a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 800

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian, a=stable
Pin-Priority: 90
<eof>

Set your /etc/apt/apt.conf to:
<bof>
APT::Default-Release "testing";
APT::Cache-Limit "8388608";
<eof>

Make sure you have adequate sources...

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib
non-free

Run aptitude and do update, then run the upgrade, or do apt-get update
then apt-get upgrade.

I hope this helps.

jc

--