Re: FAM running amok

On Thursday 18 December 2003 05:15, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 08:47:10PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Doesn't the Konqueror file manager use it to know when to update
> > directory windows?
>
> Wait...FAM's supposed to be installed for that to work?  I have the
> magic konqueror!

Nope. FAM is used if installed, otherwise KDE (KDirWatch?) looks out for
file/directory modifications itself by polling. FAM is supposed to be
the better solution, because it uses kernel notifications (dnotify)
instead of polling. That's the idea anyway. In practice, it seems,
there have been cases of FAM monopolizing the CPU for a long time. The
problem has been in the debian bug database, but seems to be considered
fixed as there's currently no related entry. Well, in my case it still
happens occasionally and I'd like to know if there's anything I can do
about it.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  There is no matrix,
mailto:michael@schuerig.de        only reality.