Re: What do we need arts for?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:32:14PM +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Thomas Ritter [Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:34:48 +0100]:
> > On Tuesday 18 November 2003 19:36, David Bishop wrote:
> > > Then don't.  Go into the Control Center, under Sound & Multimedia, select
> > > Sound Server.  Uncheck 'Start at login', and then use non-kde multimedia
>
> > ... and don't forget to set arts to kill itself after 1 second or so before
> > you disable it, because whenever you start one of the crappy (because arts
> > using) KDE media programs, it will start arts. I had even thought of deleting
> > the arts binary and symlinking it to /bin/false ;)
>
> Perhaps you should consider running artsd outputting to the *null* device.
> That way all KDE applications are happy 'cause arts is running and
> non-kde apps can use the driver themselves.
>
> By the way, by not using arts, you also loose the possibility of having
> separate apps playing simultaneously, don't you? (Please correct me if
> I'm wrong; I'd be glad to know if this can be done without
> artsd/esd/similar.)

If you have a good sound card you can output multiple simultaneously, or
if you can manage to convince upstream alsa to fix the alsa-lib to work
right with their dmix plugin it will even work for cheap sound cards.
Otherwise you have to use a daemon such as artsd/esd/etc.

BTW - as far as functionality is concerned arts is more roughly equal
to gstreamer than to esd.

Chris