Re: What do we need arts for?

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 11:01 am, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
> I don't understand why kde is so closely tied to arts?
>
> Speaking from my personal experience, what arts is mostly good for is
> getting in the way of my sound driver.
>
> Since I started using alsa, there has been no correlation between arts and
> the hardware. It's like I have two sound systems competing with each other,
> and arts is cripled since it can't adjust the mixer volumes.
>
> I'd really rather not use arts at all.

Then don't.  Go into the Control Center, under Sound & Multimedia, select
Sound Server.  Uncheck 'Start at login', and then use non-kde multimedia
apps, like xmms, etc.  All you'll be missing is the System Sounds (which I
never, ever, turn on) and the use of noatun, kaboodle, etc (which some people
don't like, apparently :-).  arts isn't magic, and KDE doesn't have a
run-time dependency on it.

--
D.A.Bishop